Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Runner's Story From Last Year's Half Marathon

http://lindasmarathonrun.blogspot.com/2009/03/disneys-princess-12-marathon-weekend.html

"We made our way over to the Start line and to our assigned corrals. It was cold out at 55 degrees with 87% humidity. But, I know Orlando, and I knew that once the sun got up, it would warm up very quickly. A few women from Northern states were saying how glad they were they were wearing their running tights. I was thinking they would not be so happy about that in about an hour.
The race started and we slowly moved towards the Start Line. There were 8000 women running the half marathon this morning. I was in the middle corral, and it took me a full 5 min after the start to reach the timing mats. I had already decided to run for as long as I could. I am a slow runner; but, I am a really slow walker and I was afraid I would not make the 16 min/mile minimum speed if I walked the whole thing.
So, the running today was good. Really good. Disney had many diversions planned to entertain us all along the way. There were quiz questions on the route, and many characters to be photographed with. We ran from Epcot into the Magic Kingdom and through Cinderella's Castle. It was soooo much fun!!!
Once the sun came up, the temperature soared up into the 80s. I stayed well hydrated. I was on pace between 13:30 -13:45 for the first 9 miles, and was looking at a finish in under 3 hours. I was not in any pain, and could have kept going ... if it weren't for being so well hydrated and having to make a Port-a-potty stop. There were huge lines at all the potties, so it took awhile.
After that, when I started running again I had a cramp in my right quad (the inner most one). This was really strange. I have NEVER had quad trouble even when I take the downside of bridges too fast. I slowed down to walk it out; but, my quad was not having it. So I had to fully stop and stretch and massage it. It loosened up a bit, and I could walk on it. So mile 9-10 was around 20 min (yikes!). I did some run/walking for the next mile.
Mile 11 started up a hill - an interstate overpass, actually. I came up on a young woman (early 20s) who was crying and talking to herself saying, "Come on. You have to keep going". I stopped and walked next to her and asked if she was OK. All she could say was, "the hill .. I can't". So I told her she could, and I would walk it with her. So I stayed with her up the hill and down the other side until mile 12. By then, I didn't care about time anymore. I knew I would finish, so no big deal.
At mile 12, the course flattened out again, and we were back in Epcot! Before I knew it, I was crossing the finish line. As soon as I did, I was ushered to a recovery area where a Disney medical person removed my knee brace, and wrapped an ice pack around my knee. That was very nice.
After I exited the area and received my medal, I went back to the Race Retreat for an after race brunch. There was plenty to eat and drink, and a nice place to rest for a bit.

MY thoughts on the run, itself --- I am not a fast runner. I probably never will be. Sure, I'd like to improve my time. Possibly I could have done that today. But, I realized something else today. For me, it's really not about the finish line. It's about the road there. And, this weekend the road was excellent! :-) "

No comments:

Post a Comment